Re: [Shaku] Warning to traveling Shakuhachists

From: Perry Yung (yungflutes@yahoo.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 21:32:21 PST

Hey Tairaku,

 I just got back in town. Sorry I missed you in Tokyo.

> know....?, the knuckleheads at TSA did not allow me
> to carry on my nobe
> shakuhachi. I had to buy a box from the airline and
> check them in. In
> the process I almost missed my flight.

Yesterday, I boarded a Japan Airlinesflight with 13
shakuhachi in my hiking pack ranging from 1.6 to 2.7
(two-piece and nobe). The only person that asked about
them was the lady at check-in counter. When I showed
her my carry on bag, she pointed to the 2.7 sticking
out and said, "Are non deska"? ("What's that" in
Japanese) I said "Shakuhachi desu". She just smiled.
While going through security, I was prepared for the
guys doing the scans to pull me aside but no one did.
I even made it through US customs at JFK International
with 20 pieces of cured root end Madake in my
check-in, no questions asked. Knock on bamboo...; -)

Peace to all in the New Year,

Perry

=====
"He is fast becoming one of the few Americans who make and repair shakuhachi" - Ronnie Nyogetsu Seldin, Grandmaster
http://www.yungflutes.com
"Three extremely talented young Asian American men." - New York Times
http://www.slantperformancegroup.com