Re: [Shaku] To scale or not to scale?

From: John Baker (jinpa19822003@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 07:28:11 PST

--- John Goodman <jgood@well.com> wrote:

> I think that imitation is the basis for a lot of
> learning.

Hi.

Another point is this

1. There is so much tradition in the new that it is
only new in a relative sense.

2. Similarly, there is so much new in the traditional
that it is only old by convention.

What I mean by #1 is that no matter how hard you work
at it, if you make music you are using sound. Given
that you are using a flute, your possibilities, while
wide and large, are not unlimited. You can never be a
crashing cymbal, for instance.

In #2 it is also true that you really cannot imitate
any one or anything perfectly. There will always be
only one Caruso, one Callas, one Ponselle. You can
substitute any other names you please. Even if you
try to play like your favorite player, you will miss.

Shakuhachi is a traditional Japanes instrument. I am
a US human. I do not even admire very much of
Japanese culture, so I do not want to imitate it.
Does anyone have the right to define for me what I
should play? Not unless I ask them to.

Opinion masquerading as fact is still only opinion.
This is one.

Regards,

John Baker