[Shaku] On Festivals and Costs

From: Bruce Jones (bjones@weber.ucsd.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 13:17:12 PST

>I don't think someone charging me $60 per night to put my 6 foot
>square tent on a piece of ground is very nice "delusion" at all!
>I could accept $375 if i was allowed to put my tent somewhere for free.

It's not $60/night to pitch a tent. It's $60/day for that tent
space, food, and all the associated costs of maintaining a
campground (restrooms, showers, cleanup, etc.) of which $52 is for
food alone. So it's $8/day for pitching your tent. I find that
pretty reasonable.

Appended below is a message I thought I'd sent to the list, but
apparently only went to one person (ah, those "To:" lines, how they
trip us up):

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 17:20:13 -0000, stan <b@didgethings.co.uk> wrote:
> That's a complete rip off!

So, you've been to the festival? You've had the opportunity to
study with the likes of Riley Lee, Yoshio Kurahashi, Michael Gould,
et.al.? Enjoyed a long weekend of good teachers, good company, good
food, and the support of the shakuhachi sanga?

I pay my teacher, Masakazu Yoshizawa his mimimum fee plus a bit.
I make a decent living and don't give away my time to my employers.
I see no reason why any teacher, particulaly one who is a world-class
musician (which easily includes those mentioned above) should do
so either. He sometimes comments that I pay him too much. My
response is always the same: if students don't support teachers,
there will be no teachers.

If festival participants don't support festivals, there will be no
festivals.

bj

p.s. and if this festival is too rich for your pocketbook, you can
always run one of your own. The suggested one on the farm in
upstate NY (if I remember correctly) sounds like fun. We run a
sort of mini-festival in San Francisco when Riley and Kurahashi
come to town.

-