[Shaku] 5-day Intensive Shakuhachi Retreat at Bamboo-In

From: Alcvin Ramos (ramos@dccnet.com)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 17:23:01 PDT

Dear shakuhachi list,

I'm happy to announce the opening of Bamboo-In's Intensive Retreat=20
Program. Have a great summer!

Alcvin

5-day Intensive Shakuhachi Retreat at Bamboo-In
http://www.bamboo-in.com/about-us/temple.html

Cost: CA$750.00

Bamboo-In is a shakuhachi center owned and operated by Alcvin and=20
Sandra Ramos. Situated on the stunning Sunshine Coast of British=20
Columbia, Canada in the picturesque outreaches of Pender Harbour,=20
Bamboo-In is a place focusing on the practice of shakuhachi. Nestled=20
amidst the landscape of islands, coves, lakes and reefs, and reflecting=20=

the great beauty and diversity of the Sunshine Coast, the retreat=20
center grounds are alive with plants and animals, including a rich and=20=

varied bird population. Bamboo-In features a karesansui (dry rock=20
garden), manicured garden, and shakuhachi meditation room. We are=20
located approximately 40 km from downtown Sechelt, and 2 hours from the=20=

Vancouver International airport. Within the Bamboo-In grounds is also=20
the pottery studio and workshop of ceramic artist, Sandra Ramos,=20
featuring a salt-wood fired kiln. Just 10 minutes drive from the=20
Sunshine Ch'an (Zen) Monastery and 10 minutes walk from the ocean on=20
quiet country roads, Bamboo-In is ideal for growing and deepening=20
shakuhachi practice and meditation.

In keeping with the spirit and tradition of shakuhachi learning,=20
Bamboo-In offers an Intensive Retreat Program (IRP) for serious=20
shakuhachi students. The Intensive Retreat Program enables students to=20=

stay and practice/study shakuhachi at Bamboo-In. The maximum number of=20=

retreat participants is 2.

The Intensive Retreat Program (5-days)
The Intensive Retreat Program offers the opportunity for an intensive=20
period of practice/study with Shakuhachi Shihan, Alcvin Takegawa Ramos.=20=

At a retreat we separate ourselves from our daily affairs in order to=20
sink deeply into shakuhachi practice, free to transcend the background=20=

chatter of our busy, superficial mind. Combined with daily meditation=20
and misogi, we can feel a union with nature and ourselves through our=20
practice of learning koten shakuhachi.

Intensive Retreat Program Tuition
Each 5-day period.....CA$750.00
Tuition includes lodging, breakfast, lunch and dinner, all=20
instructional fees, and participation in cultural events. There are=20
grocery stores within driving distance from the dojo and kitchen and=20
laundry facilities on the premises.

A deposit of $200 (personal cheque or money order) is due at least two=20=

weeks before your term begins. This deposit is applied to your tuition.=20=

The balance of your tuition is due upon your arrival. Tuition is=20
non-refundable once the student term begins. We do not accept credit=20
cards.

Refunds/cancellations:
Refunds for the $200 deposit are given only if you cancel 2 weeks in=20
advance.

How to apply=85
Occupancy varies throughout the year as individual terms do not begin=20
at the same time. It is best to apply early for the time you wish to=20
participate in the program. It is suggested to include a first- and=20
second-choice of when you would like to begin your first term.

Please send a letter of request to enter the program that includes=20
background information about your shakuhachi studies, what you would=20
like to study, and dates you would like to have your retreat. Your=20
letter will be responded to promptly.

To apply, please email ramos@bamboo-in.com

or.............

send your application request letter, along with a stamped,=20
self-addressed envelope, to:

Intensive Shakuhachi Retreat at Bamboo-In
c/o Alcvin Ramos
S9-C3
Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0
Canada

Guidelines
The Intensive consists of 4 blocks of shakuhachi training: early=20
morning shugyou and meditation, late morning lesson, afternoon hocchiku=20=

construction (optional), and evening lesson. If you would like to=20
purchase a stalk of raw madake bamboo please specify length and size of=20=

bamboo blank. Each blank is CA$400.00.

Bring clothing suitable for meditation and exercise. Bring solid, dark=20=

(mustard color is preferred) or muted, comfortable clothing. If you=20
have a samue (Japanese monk's work clothes) please wear that. Spend=20
your free time enjoying the surrounding area by walking, hiking,=20
resting and of course practicing shakuhachi.

Meditation and spiritual practice (shugyou) are important parts of the=20=

retreat and each person is expected to participate fully in all facets=20=

of the Training Period.

The Retreat begins on the evening of the first day with dinner at 5:30.=20=

Plan to arrive at the retreat center around 4:00 pm on the first day in=20=

order to get settled in.

Sample Retreat Daily Schedule
5:30 am
Rise
6:00 am
Run/Shugyou
7:25 am
Zazen
8:00 am
Breakfast, rest, free time
9:00 am
Meditation at Sunshine Ch=92an Monastery (Sunday morning only;=20
opportunity for offering honkyoku)
10:00 am
Shakuhachi Lessons
12:00 noon
Lunch, rest, free time
1:30
Hocchiku construction
5:30 pm
Supper, free time, rest
7:00 pm
Shakuhachi Lesson
9:00 pm
Meditation at Sunshine Ch=92an Monastery (on Thursday night only;=20
opportunity for offering honkyoku)
10:30 pm
Retire

=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D
Alcvin Takegawa Ramos
Director
The Shakuhachi Society of BC (Bamboo-In)
=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D<+>=3D
S9-C3
Madeira Park, B.C.,V0N 2H0
Canada
tel: 604.883.2023