RE: [Shaku] Charles Ives deconstructed 4th of July celebration in San Francisco

From: nyokai@nyokai.com
Date: Tue Jul 05 2005 - 16:30:08 PDT

Bob Dylan DID write "Blowin' in the Wind" (NOT Pete Seeger, his father
Charles, or Burl (or Charles!) Ives). See
http://www.fortunecity.com/tinpan/parton/2/blowin.html

Charles Ives was a musical radical but certainly not a political or
social one. His jingoism was apparent and his homophobia notorious --
among others, Henry Cowell (who by the way played shakuhachi) felt the
brunt of it. Also of interest: Ives disagreed with Dvorak that
"American music" should include African-American and Native American
music. My guess is that he wouldn't have had much time for shakuhachi
either. However, he was certainly one of the great composers and great
innovators of the early 20th century.

The gulf between artistic and socio-political radicalism is often
disheartening. It was a minor intellectual crisis for me when I learned
that Gertrude Stein was a Republican.