Re: [Shaku] sleep

From: Stephanie Hiller (stephaniehiller9@yahoo.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 00:11:27 PDT

Hi all,

Well my favourate way to go to sleep is to have the
bedroom door ajar and Yoshikazu Iwamoto playing gently
on the landing (well, a CD of him anyway!!). His tone
is so beautiful and haunting and the sound of the
music coming from a distance reminds me of when I was
at Dartington and he used to play in the gardens.
Very evocative.

I certainly don't consider this a comment on the
quality of his performance as I think he is very
accomplished (my favourite player, in fact). I often
listen to his playing during the day and it doesn't
make me feel sleepy at all. Relaxed perhaps. I think
this is more a reflection of the versatility of his
playing - ie it can be used as a soothing way to
induce sleep or can be listened to more intently.

Would be interested to hear what others think.

Happy playing,
Stephanie