Re: [Shaku] bamboo

From: Igor Ost <igor.ost@skynet.be>
Date: Sun Feb 12 2006 - 09:57:31 PST

Hello John,
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Baker" <jinpa19822003@yahoo.com>
> I have no experience with bamboo or flutemaking, but I
> have read that madake grows very fast & that is the
> wrong kind of bamboo for flutes. I have read that you
> need to find undernourished, unfertilized bamboo that
> grows on barren soil on steep slopes. Fertilizing the
> madake will make it good for other purposes, but is
> not a good idea if you want to produce the denser
> bamboo used for flutes.

I agree with you.
But I thought that as where I live the soil is poor and I won't be able to
find well developped bambou to plant at first that it would be good to
fertilise for 2 to 3 years so that the bambou is in good health, 'settled'
if you understand what I mean, so that culms are at least a good size, and
then stop fertilising.

I'm not planning to become a 'flutemaker', so if the culms are not suitable
for shakuhachi it will still be a beautifull sight and a pleasure to have in
my garden.

Thank you for your input,

Blow well,

Igor