RE: [Shaku] The Power of Urushi

From: Karl Signell <signell@umbc.edu>
Date: Fri Jul 13 2007 - 08:33:25 PDT

> ... urushi is probably still the best
> material for coating... if it has hardened, it should not give anyone
problems.

Can anyone estimate curing time (end of allergenic properties) under humid
conditions (sealed plastic bag, moisturizing wicks in both halves)? My
repair person in Japan cured my flute for at least three months in a special
high-humidity box after repair this spring. I received the flute back a
couple of weeks ago and it is still highly allergenic to me. Just a
ballpark figure -- I realize there's a lot of variables here.

Karl Signell