[Shaku] Re: shakuhachi V1 #1189

From: <Marylubran@aol.com>
Date: Wed Nov 14 2007 - 06:43:35 PST

-------------------------------1195051415

Following the thread:
All of this talk of pitch perfection has some baring on a "concert quality"
shakuhachi...which I think in itself is almost a contradiction in terms....a
good shakuhachi player can work with a flute with imperfect pitch...and so why
 would you want to, right? Well, in my way of thinking and hearing what
really make a flute good is timbre....or "neiro" as the Japanese say=sound
color. This is the most determining factor in a good flute... an ordinary good
quality sound, just isn't good enough....it has to have that special quality...
to a certain extent this too is in the control of the player, but not
totally... flutes do make a difference... shakuhachi is primarily an instrument
of timbre... unlike almost anything in the West that I am aware of. Timbre
is the number one quality that shakuhachi plays with in the old Honkyoku
pieces. To find the excellence of timbre in a flute, it must be played by someone
who really knows how to get out of the flute all that it has in it.... so
experience is required. There is modern sound, brighter and then there are the
flute with darker sounds and torn sounds, almost tragic sound... in
listening to the good Japanese players... the sounds are really quite different from
what we consider in the West to be good flute sounds...
Mary Lu Brandwein
_www.shakuhachi.org_ (http://www.shakuhachi.org)
858-945-8739

-------------------------------1195051415

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16544" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
Arial"=20
e_document=20
face=3DArial color=3D#000000 size=3D2>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Following the thread:</DIV>
<DIV>All of this talk of pitch perfection has some baring on a "concert qual=
ity"=20
shakuhachi...which I think in itself is almost a contradiction in terms....a=
=20
good shakuhachi player can work with a flute with imperfect pitch...and so w=
hy=20
would you want to, right?&nbsp; Well, in my way of thinking and hearing what=
=20
really make a flute good is timbre....or "neiro" as the Japanese say=3Dsound=
=20
color.&nbsp; This is the most determining factor in a good flute... an ordin=
ary=20
good quality sound, just isn't good enough....it has to have that special=20
quality... to a certain extent this too is in the control of the player, but=
 not=20
totally...&nbsp; flutes do make a difference...&nbsp; shakuhachi is primaril=
y an=20
instrument of timbre...&nbsp; unlike almost anything in the West that I am a=
ware=20
of.&nbsp; Timbre is the number one quality that shakuhachi plays with in the=
 old=20
Honkyoku pieces.&nbsp; To find the excellence of timbre in a flute,&nbsp;it=20=
must=20
be played by someone who really knows how to get out of the flute all that i=
t=20
has in it.... so experience is required.&nbsp; There is modern sound, bright=
er=20
and then there are the flute with darker sounds and torn sounds, almost trag=
ic=20
sound... in listening to the good Japanese players... the sounds are really=20
quite different from what we consider in the West to be good flute sounds...=
=20
</DIV>
<DIV>Mary Lu Brandwein</DIV>
<DIV><A href=3D"http://www.shakuhachi.org">www.shakuhachi.org</A></DIV>
<DIV>858-945-8739</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV></DIV></FONT><BR><BR><BR><DIV><FONT style=3D"color: b=
lack; font: normal 10pt ARIAL, SAN-SERIF;"><HR style=3D"MARGIN-TOP: 10px">Se=
e what's new at <A title=3D"http://www.aol.com?NCID=3DAOLCMP00300000001170"=20=
href=3D"http://www.aol.com?NCID=3DAOLCMP00300000001170" target=3D"_blank">AO=
L.com</A> and <A title=3D"http://www.aol.com/mksplash.adp?NCID=3DAOLCMP00300=
000001169" href=3D"http://www.aol.com/mksplash.adp?NCID=3DAOLCMP003000000011=
69" target=3D"_blank">Make AOL Your Homepage</A>.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>