Re: Favorite CDs/recordings...

From: Zachary Braverman (zachary@kotodama.net)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 17:21:22 PST

On 02.2.8 6:50 AM, "edBeaty" <edosan@indra.com> wrote:

Looks like I'm going to have to do some more CD shopping! There are many
CD's Ed mentions that I haven't heard. I can second his recommendations
about Yokoyama's Zen (can't do without that one), Iwamoto's recordings,
Riley's and MIchael's.

There are two very important players I think he misses, though. The first
is Watazumi, who's CD's are quite an experience to listen to. God, I wish I
could have seen that man play live!

The other is Taniguchi's CD's. Monty recently published a 4 CD set of
Taniguchi playing almost all the Watazumi honkyoku. He plays all of them on
a 3.0, and the playing is (I may be biased, since he's my teacher) utterly
magnificent. Be forewarned, however, that the recording quality is not,
since he originally recorded the pieces himself not for release, but as a
kuyo, or offering, to his mother.

Best,

Zachary