Re: Black lacquered Shakuhachi

From: eurydice (eurydice@cruzio.com)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 18:43:04 PDT

One of my four Shakuhachis is a 1.7 black urushi lacquered flute. It's a
Ji-nashi vintage flute from the Meiji era, and is about one hundred years
old. It is lacquered with black urushi inside and out.It has Kinko
utaguchi.

Urushi lacquer is the sap of the urushi (or lacquer) tree. Its scientific
name is rhus vernicifera. It is a member of the Anacardiaceae (sumac)
family, and is native to China, Korea, Japan, and the eastern Himalayas
region. The sap of this tree contains a resin-urushiol, which when exposed
to moisture and air, polymerises and becomes a very hard, durable,
plastic-like substance, lacquer! Urushi is, in fact, a natural plastic. A
similar tree, with similar properties, is found in South-East Asia.

The flute is fabulous, with a very sweet tone. It is unbound, and has no
cracks or blemishes, despite its age. I attribute this to the Urushi
lacquer, which essentially is like a plastic coating and keeps the shak
from drying out. You are lucky to own such a flute. I had thought mine was
one of a kind.