Staining shakuhachi root ends?

From: Gene (oldmanriver@alltel.net)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 14:50:26 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_010E_01C38844.7F1AC3C0
        charset="iso-8859-1"

Please forgive my dumb questions . . . .

I notice a large percentage of shakuhachi are dark, sometimes almost =
black, particularly near the root end. And I assume this phenomenon was =
originally caused by something in the natural environment in which the =
bamboo grew. In addition though, some of the shakuhachi makers are now =
patently staining their root bamboo, in order to simulate this very =
delightful appearance.

Even the full sized plastic shakuhachi (not PVC), such as those =
available through Barry Nyosui Weiss at =
http://www.blowingzen.com/products.html now have the same dark root end.

What sort of stain are the shakuhachi makers using on their bamboo? I =
was told tea, but that sounds a bit dubious, and is even the wrong =
color. =20

Thank you!

Gene

------=_NextPart_000_010E_01C38844.7F1AC3C0
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>Please forgive my dumb questions . . . .</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I notice a large percentage of shakuhachi are dark, sometimes =
almost black,=20
particularly near the root end.&nbsp; And I assume this phenomenon was=20
originally caused by something in the natural environment in which the =
bamboo=20
grew.&nbsp;&nbsp;In addition though, some of the shakuhachi makers are =
now=20
patently staining their root bamboo, in order to simulate this very =
delightful=20
appearance.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Even the full sized plastic shakuhachi (not PVC), such as those =
available=20
through Barry Nyosui Weiss at <A=20
href=3D"http://www.blowingzen.com/products.html">http://www.blowingzen.co=
m/products.html</A>&nbsp;now=20
have the same dark root end.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>What sort of stain are the shakuhachi makers using on their =
bamboo?&nbsp; I=20
was told tea, but that sounds a bit dubious, and is even the wrong =
color.&nbsp;=20
</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Thank you!</DIV>