Lacquer?

From: Gene (oldmanriver@alltel.net)
Date: Wed Oct 01 2003 - 07:33:41 PDT

------=_NextPart_000_0050_01C38807.7B3DEB70
        charset="iso-8859-1"

For you newbies like me who have been looking for lacquer, I've searched =
the net everywhere, and I believe Mejiro is the only way to go . . . .

Here's what Mejiro says:

If you want to "ji" your bore, you buy a tube (or more) of their Seshime =
Lacquer #A0301, thin it with "turpentine oil or gasoline (their =
recommendation)", filter it through their Miyoshino Paper #A0315, and =
apply a thin layer "to flatten the inside surface of the flute".

Then you buy a package of their Tonoko Powder #A0300, mix it with water, =
they say, then with Seshime, at a rate of 2:1 Tonoko to Sheshime, by =
weight, which will give you a texture similar to paint. Using their =
spatula or brush, you apply in a number of thin layers.

To finish, if you want a gloss black lacquer bore, you buy a tube of =
their Black Finishing Lacquer #A0305, thin it with "turpentine or =
gasoline", filter it through their Miyoshino Paper and apply to the =
bore. They sell special brushes for this purpose. It requires no =
polishing after application.

If you want a red lacquer bore, you buy a tube of their Shuai Lacquer =
#A0307, a brown almost clear lacquer, thin it with "turpentine or =
gasoline", filter it through the Miyoshino Paper, then mix it with their =
Shu-no-Ko powder #A0309 and apply in thin layers. Or you can buy a tube =
of their Shu-no-Moto #A0308, thin and filter it, and mix it with the =
above Shuai Lacquer #A0307 (thinned and filtered) in a ratio of 1:1 or =
1:2 by volume.

Have fun, guys!

Dr. Gene Neill
Mayo, Florida
------=_NextPart_000_0050_01C38807.7B3DEB70
        charset="iso-8859-1"

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>For you newbies like me who have been looking for lacquer, I've =
searched=20
the net everywhere, and I believe Mejiro is the only way to go . . . =
.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Here's what Mejiro says:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If you want to "ji" your bore, you buy a tube (or more)&nbsp;of =
their=20
Seshime Lacquer #A0301, thin it with "turpentine oil or gasoline (their=20
recommendation)", filter it through their Miyoshino Paper #A0315, and =
apply a=20
thin layer "to flatten the inside surface of the flute".</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Then you buy a package of their Tonoko Powder #A0300, mix it with =
water,=20
they say, then with Seshime, at a rate of 2:1 Tonoko to Sheshime, by =
weight,=20
which will give you a texture similar to paint.&nbsp; Using their =
spatula or=20
brush, you apply in a number of thin layers.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>To finish, if you want a gloss black lacquer bore, you buy a tube =
of their=20
Black Finishing Lacquer #A0305, thin it with "turpentine or gasoline", =
filter it=20
through their Miyoshino Paper and apply to the bore.&nbsp; They sell =
special=20
brushes for this purpose.&nbsp; It requires no polishing after=20
application.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>If you want a red lacquer bore, you buy a tube of their Shuai =
Lacquer=20
#A0307, a brown almost clear lacquer, thin it with "turpentine or =
gasoline",=20
filter it through the Miyoshino Paper, then mix it with their Shu-no-Ko =
powder=20
#A0309 and apply in thin layers.&nbsp; Or you can buy a tube of their=20
Shu-no-Moto #A0308, thin and filter it, and mix it with the above Shuai =
Lacquer=20
#A0307 (thinned and filtered) in a ratio of 1:1 or 1:2 by volume.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Have fun, guys!</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Dr. Gene Neill</DIV>