Re: [Shaku] Reply to Brian

From: Peter Ross (peteross@cloudhandsmusic.com)
Date: Tue Jul 27 2004 - 18:54:55 PDT

>OK, here is a wild observation. I've been having a difficult time
>recently blowing shakuhachi (not the impitus of my search for a
>better instrument, though). In the past, trimming my beard seemed
>to make an improvement. So, I shaved the hair under my lower lip to
>mid chin and BAM - now I can easily get decent tones without having
>to blow my lungs out! Anyone else ever make this observation
>(ladies excepted)?

Brian,

I occasional shave and something seems a bit better, maybe volume,
but the flute feels strange. It seems to stick to my chin. I guess
I'm used it it sliding around easily on my beard. After 30 plus
years it's hard to change. You may be onto something.

Peter

--
Peter Ross
http://www.cloudhandsmusic.com