[Shaku] News

From: Tom Deaver (tom-tom@ch-you.ne.jp)
Date: Wed Jul 06 2005 - 06:13:54 PDT

I received the following note from a friend today. Anyone wishing to attend,
I can guide you there.

I found information about an old shakuhachi, hitoyogiri, which was handed
down from one famous historical general named Oda Nobunaga, who was born in
1534 and lived in Sengoku era, to Toyotomi Hideyoshi, who was said to be
born in 1537 and served Oda Nobunaga. Toyotomi later unified Japan and the
era is called Azuchimomoyama. And then the flute was handed down to
Tokugawa Ieyasu, who was born in 1542 and who began the Tokugawa era in
1603. The name of the old shakuhachi is Nokaze. It has been kept in
Teishouin, which is a venerable temple and located in Godo, Shiga, near my
mother's house. The flute is going to be exhibited from 29th July to 11th
August in the Suwa museum. A description will be given by the priest of
Teishouin temple on the 31, Sunday at 1:30. The shakuhachi performance will
be held from two thirty after the talk at the museum.

So if you are interested and want to go and listen to the old shakuhachi,
please tell me.

I'll probably meet my friend in Suwa and see what this is all about.

Tom W. Deaver
Bei Shu Shakuhachi
http://www3.ocn.ne.jp/~shaku100/