[Shaku] bamboo

From: Karl Young <Karl.Young@radiology.ucsf.edu>
Date: Mon Feb 13 2006 - 10:47:04 PST

--Apple-Mail-4-487950667
        charset=US-ASCII;
        format=flowed

Sorry for being a grouch here but I wear a couple of hats that
sometimes don't seem to work together perfectly (shakuhachi enthusiast
and native plant tyrant). As a fan of native California habitat and the
critters that inhabit it I've been breaking my back for the last few
years on a piece of land my wife and I own, trying to remove and hold
at bay a number of invasive plant species that vie with each other to
turn the land into a monocultural wasteland.

I don't know much about Madake (e.g. if it reproduces mainly by
rhizomes,...) but I'd hate to see shakuhachi enthusiasts innocently and
inadvertently introduce an invasive plant epidemic (e.g. eucalyptus was
introduced into California in the hopes (false) of providing cheap,
fast growing construction material; now it is a problem in a number of
areas; there are endless other sad tales re. introduction of
invasives). I know, anecdotally that friends have had problems
containing certain strains of bamboo in their garden (not sure if any
were Madake). There may be no problem at all re. Madake but it might be
good for some of us to research it before a lot of Madake groves get
planted in new habitats (since I brought it up I'm probably the logical
candidate !). Sorry for the negative input on an interesting and
informative discussion.

-- KY

Karl Young
Center for Imaging of Neurodegenerative Disease, UCSF
VA Medical Center, MRS Unit (114M) Phone: (415) 221-4810 x3114
4150 Clement Street FAX: (415)
668-2864
San Francisco, CA 94121 Email: kyoung at itsa
ucsf edu

--Apple-Mail-4-487950667
        charset=US-ASCII

[...]

<smaller><smaller>Karl Young

Center for Imaging of Neurodegenerative Disease, UCSF

VA Medical Center, MRS Unit (114M) Phone: (415) 221-4810 x3114

4150 Clement Street FAX: (415)
668-2864

San Francisco, CA 94121 Email: kyoung at itsa
ucsf edu

</smaller></smaller>

--Apple-Mail-4-487950667--