spirituality in music

From: Steven Casano (casanosteven@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Mar 30 2003 - 10:40:45 PST

<DIV>
<DIV>Aloha,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Interesting comments about the concept of spirituality and music.&nbsp; In my view it seems when we are discussing spirituality in music, I think what we are really looking for is that state of "flow," or in Japanese "mushin."&nbsp; In other words a state of complete naturalness, where we not separated from our instrument or our music, but rather are moving in complete harmony and naturalness.&nbsp; It doesn't matter whether you are making music or not, for this may happen for some while writing calligraphy, making tea, making a shakuhachi, or gardening.&nbsp; In essence, we are so involved with what we are doing at the moment that time seems to stand still.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>However, in my opinion, to attain this state one needs to have enough technical control of what they are doing to eventually transcend the technical aspects of the piece.&nbsp; In other words, it takes much hard work to enter this level of oneness and naturalness.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>